A brief history
Cagliari - The hill of Buoncammino seen from the roof of
The Capuchins reached Cagliari in 1591were given permission to build
their convent on the hill of Buoncammino which at that time was isolated
from the town. The church, like many others of the Order, was dedicated
to St. Antony of Padua. The architecture, which is simple in structure and
humble in both size and style, reflects the Capuchin model officially laid
down by the first Constitutions of the Order. Before building the small
shrine (1950), the church had only the right side chapels; on the left side
the wall was smooth with no access to the other rooms. The interior was
and still is simple and basic, following the spirituality and tradition
of the Capuchins. Works of art having an artistic value are rare: there
is just the altar-piece wich dates back to the XVIIth or XVIIIth century
and some marble frontal of the XVIIIth century. The real treasures of the
church are the three «saints» buried here: St. Ignazio da Laconi,
whose sanctity was recognized by the Church in 1951; Br Nicolò da
S.Vero Milis, who was a model and a reference for St Ignazio; and Br Nicola
da Gesturi, whose memory is kept alive by the people who knew him. They
were huge and unforgettable protagonists in the history of the town; now
so many people invoke them as intercessors. The old convent, built together
with the church, does not belong to the friars any more. It was taken away
by the oppressive laws in 1866 and now it is a house for retired people.
Only at the end of last century were the friars able to buy a piece of land
on the opposite side of the church where they built the present convent.
The church front, which has been renovated many times, is of recent date.
On the front square you can see a small bronze monument by Franco D'Aspro,
dedicated to St. Ignazio da Laconi.
Torna al Sommario
For information contact
P. MARCO TARCISIO MASCIA